Purchasing the Ring
Dealing with diamonds and the diamond industry entail a lot of information. You can access this information from books, journals and the Internet. However, having a lot of this literature will not help you in grading a diamond and purchasing the best engagement ring 100%. Still, if you know the essentials in doing these, you can have a better chance in purchasing a diamond engagement ring for a fair price.
(1) When buying an engagement ring, worry not about the band but learn everything about diamonds. As long as you got questions in your head and need an answer, do find the answers. Remember, a good research is a key to having the perfect engagement ring.
(2) Decide on the diamond’s 4Cs: cut, colour, clarity and carat then prioritize them in order of what is important to you. Always include your financial capability in deciding which C you would prioritize more.
(3) Once you know what you are looking for, start visiting jewellery stores. Look for a jeweller that is willing to spend time to show you the diamonds. Look for a diamond that will match your budget and speculations. Compare prices from diamonds with certification from reputable laboratories.
(4) Always ask to see the authenticity certificate of the diamond. Look for reputable independent companies and laboratories who grade diamonds fairly. The Gemmological Institute of America (GIA) has a standard procedure in grading diamonds. Look for dealers who follow the GIA guidelines when issuing certificate. Always know the difference between a certificate and an appraisal.
(5) Save some money on the product name and improve the other Cs you still don’t have. But always consider the 4Cs that could suit your preferences.
(6) When buying diamond rings in the Internet, make sure that the information stated are true and reliable. Select a trustworthy jeweller. Choose a diamond with a GIA certificate and make sure you can work with their return policy. Have an independent appraiser that will authenticate that the diamond matches the certificate.
Taking Care of the Ring
Despite the fact that a diamond is the hardest natural substance, when it is accurately mounted in an engagement ring, it could still be vulnerable. Being careless will set your engagement ring to ruins. Here are ways on how to make your priceless possession preserve its eternal state:
Steps in cleaning the diamond engagement ring:
(1) Use a soft brush, soap and water when cleaning the engagement ring. If you don’t have a special brush, good alternatives such as an eyebrow or lipstick brush can be used.
(2) Before cleaning, make a solution of warm water with detergent. Then place the diamond in it. Hold the suds while cleaning the diamond.
(3) Use a strainer when rinsing the ring.
(4) Use a dry cloth when drying the ring.
Some helpful tips
(1) Make sure your diamond engagement ring is being checked by a professional diamond jeweller at least once a year. He will check the prongs and mountings of the ring. These make your stone hold in place.
(2) Buy a special liquid cleanser for your engagement ring. Make sure to read the instructions very carefully as well as the precautions.
(3) There is an availability of special ultra-sonic cleansers designed for precious diamonds. These machines are of various types. Read carefully the instructions before purchasing.
(4) Store your diamond ring in a separate box and keep it apart from other jewellery. This will protect your diamond from scratches and other risks.
(5) When cleaning, don’t touch the stone with your fingers. Handle the edges of the diamond engagement ring.
(6) Before doing any physical activities or exercises, always take off first your diamond engagement ring.
(7) Always remember that the ring could accumulate dust even if you do not wear it that often. Always clean your diamond properly, taking into considerations the precautions when cleaning.